Skechers reviews UK media buying as brand grows
LONDON - Skechers, the footwear company, is hunting for a new media buying agency following the growth of the brand in the UK since it launched here in 2001.
The company currently retains Media Insight for all its outdoor, print and television advertising. The agency, which has 20 employees and is part of the WPP Group, has worked on the account since 2001.
Jennifer Clay, vice-president of corporate communications at Skechers, said: "As Skechers' business has grown tremendously since it established its subsidiary in the UK in 2001, its needs have also grown. With this in mind, it has elected to review its media buying plan and agency."
Although it has only been around since 1992, Skechers has grown its brand partly by using a succession of famous names to appear in its advertising, including Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, Robert Downey Jr and Matt Dillon.
Its most recent advertising campaign features Carrie Underwood, the winner of 'American Idol'. She signed with Skechers in July after she won the fourth season of 'American Idol' with her country music style.
The company says that the Skechers name comes from street slang for someone who is super energetic and can not sit still and who is into one thing, one day, then quickly on to something else.
The review is being conducted by Gary Patrick from Skechers headquarters in Manhattan Beach, California.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Digital Designer become £40-45K, Central London
- Senior Designer - Digital Agency Aquent £40-£45k, North London
- Consultant Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 per annum, London
- Global Innovation Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 per annum, South East region