TBWA picked to handle Al Jazeera global marketing campaign
LONDON - Al Jazeera International, the English-langauge verision of the controversial Arabic news station, has appointed TBWA\RAAD to handle its global launch marketing campaign.
With offices throughout the Middle East TBWA\RAAD, part of TBWA\Worldwide, will create a worldwide ad campaign for the channel, which launches globally in January 2006.
The agency will handle all advertising and marketing activity for Al Jazeera International, which will operate out of four broadcast centres in London, Washington, Doha and Kuala Lumpur.
Lindsey Oliver, commercial director at Al Jazeera International, said: "We are extremely pleased at the appointment of such a highly respected and experienced global agency who will be working with us on the world's most exciting television project."
Ramzi Raad, chief executive of TBWA\RAAD, added: "Adding Al Jazeera International to the likes of Apple on our client list means we currently handle more of these brands than any other agency group."
The appointment of an advertising agency follows reports that the station was looking to hire broadcasting veteran Sir David Frost to join its English-language channel. Frost was replaced by Andrew Marr at the BBC earlier this year.
Al Jazeera International will be the first English-language news channel based in the Middle East. Operating from Doha in Qatar, it will be available globally and aims to take on the BBC and CNN.
In July, the broadcaster drafted in media PR experts Brown Lloyd James to distance its soon-to-launch English-language channel from the Arabic version.
TBWA\RAAD is the fastest-growing agency in the Middle East. Headquartered in Dubai, it also has offices in Eygpt, Lebanon, Jordan, Qatar, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1