TBWA picked to handle Al Jazeera global marketing campaign
LONDON - Al Jazeera International, the English-langauge verision of the controversial Arabic news station, has appointed TBWA\RAAD to handle its global launch marketing campaign.
With offices throughout the Middle East TBWA\RAAD, part of TBWA\Worldwide, will create a worldwide ad campaign for the channel, which launches globally in January 2006.
The agency will handle all advertising and marketing activity for Al Jazeera International, which will operate out of four broadcast centres in London, Washington, Doha and Kuala Lumpur.
Lindsey Oliver, commercial director at Al Jazeera International, said: "We are extremely pleased at the appointment of such a highly respected and experienced global agency who will be working with us on the world's most exciting television project."
Ramzi Raad, chief executive of TBWA\RAAD, added: "Adding Al Jazeera International to the likes of Apple on our client list means we currently handle more of these brands than any other agency group."
The appointment of an advertising agency follows reports that the station was looking to hire broadcasting veteran Sir David Frost to join its English-language channel. Frost was replaced by Andrew Marr at the BBC earlier this year.
Al Jazeera International will be the first English-language news channel based in the Middle East. Operating from Doha in Qatar, it will be available globally and aims to take on the BBC and CNN.
In July, the broadcaster drafted in media PR experts Brown Lloyd James to distance its soon-to-launch English-language channel from the Arabic version.
TBWA\RAAD is the fastest-growing agency in the Middle East. Headquartered in Dubai, it also has offices in Eygpt, Lebanon, Jordan, Qatar, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire