Calls for London-based jihadist radio station to be silenced
LONDON - MPs are calling for London-based Arabic radio station Al-Tajdeed Radio to be closed down after it emerged it has been urging Muslims to attack British troops in Iraq.
The station, which broadcasts in Arabic to Iraq and Saudi Arabia, has called on Muslims to join the "holy war" and even urged followers to kill British Prime Minister Tony Blair during the Iraq war.
Shadow minister for homeland security Patrick Mercer said the station was "desperately demoralising" for troops serving in Iraq and has urged the government to have it shut down.
The 24-hour radio station is sponsored by Saudi dissident Dr Mohammad al Massari, who is claimed to be an associate of Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.
The London-based extremist has appealed to Muslims to donate money to his bank account in the UK to enable him to spread his message of hate.
Labour MP Andrew Dismore has demanded the bank account be frozen, saying: "What's the money really being used for?"
Massari also has links with Tajdeed.net, which carries films of terrorist bombing and beheadings.
TV watchdog Ofcom said it had no control over broadcasts outside the UK.
Al Massari, who heads an Islamist party called Tajdeed, is one of a number of "preachers of hate" who face being deported from the UK.
"Once the new law has come into effect, we should be able to deal with him," Dismore said.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Digital Account Manager ADLIB £25000 - £35000 per annum, Reading