Sky reveals line-up of sports and movies on HDTV service
LONDON – BSkyB said Sky Sports, Sky One and Sky Movies will be offered on its high definition television (HDTV) service launching in 2006 delivering pictures up to four times better than standard TV.
Sky HD, will include a Sky Sports channel, Sky One, Artsworld, a Sky Box Office channel and two Sky Movies screens when it launches in the UK and Ireland from early 2006.
As well as better pictures, viewers will get better sound with HDTV making the whole experience more enjoyable for viewers.
The satellite broadcaster also said it is in advanced negotiations with a number of channels interested in offering an HD service and details will be announced over the coming months.
The Sky Sports channel will offer live and exclusive coverage of the Barclays Premiership, live rugby from the Guinness Premiership and other HD sports to be confirmed later.
From Sky Movies there will be two screens dedicated to films in HD, with titles available at launch including 'Spider Man 2', 'The Day After Tomorrow' and 'House of Flying Daggers'.
In addition, movie fans will able to choose from up to ten movies in Sky Box Office from HD each week.
A simulcast version of the existing Sky One channel will deliver programming with a range of Sky One shows and cutting-edge series in HD.
Sky HD's simulcast version of the existing Artsworld channel will offer a selection of arts programming including opera, dance and classical music.
Sky also revealed that consumers in the UK will be able to pre-register for Sky HD in store from August 26.
Brian Sullivan, Sky's director of customer products and services, said: "The launch of high definition will be the start of an exciting new era in broadcasting, and Sky HD will offer stunning picture and sound quality for a broad selection of programmes.
"When this choice of viewing is combined with the Sky+ functionality of the Sky HD box, consumers who upgrade to HD-ready television sets can look forward to a viewing experience that will be truly transformed."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Commercial Product Marketing Manager - Gaming Lipton Fleming £45000.00 per annum + Bonus and company benefits, London
- Studio and Resource Manager £30-40 Gabriele Skelton £30000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Marketing Services Manager Adam Recruitment £45000 - £50000 per annum, Cheshire