Asda to unveil debut ad for financial services
LONDON - Asda's memorable 'pocket-slapping' is set to appear in the supermarket's financial services TV ad debut promoting the money-saving benefits of its car insurance.
Unlike Asda's ads for its core supermarket business, the campaign does not feature Sharon Osbourne. The TV ad instead shows motorists enjoying their cars in a variety of different scenarios and slapping their pockets to celebrate the value-for-money of Asda's car insurance.
The advertising marks a departure for Asda, which has traditionally promoted its financial services in-store and through direct marketing.
The campaign, which has been created by ad agency Publicis, is initially being trialled in Scotland from September 1 until mid-December. However, it is expected to be rolled out across the rest of the UK in the New Year.
The work comprises TV, press and outdoor advertising, which will be supported by direct mail, internet and in-store marketing. The company is also planning to extend the campaign to promote its other financial services.
"This campaign is about one thing," Gev Lyntott, Asda's director of financial services, said. "Making sure everyone knows about Asda's everyday low prices on motor insurance, which can shave pounds off the average cost of cover from the traditional insurers."
Media buying for the campaign was handled by Carat. Asda Financial Services' below-the-line work is created by Ashley Bolser Agency.
Earlier this year, Asda announced a £10m "permanent rollback slashing the cost of customers' car insurance" and announced a permanent cut in the cost of life insurance. The supermarket also became the first to offer an online comparison service for its insurance products.
The market leader among the non-traditional financial services is Tesco Personal Finance, which has 4.6m customers, according to research by Mintel in June.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Paid Search Manager Â– Leading Automotive Client-Up to £37k SYLEX Recruitment £27000 - £37000 per annum, London
- Creative Director Creative Recruitment £70000 - £90000 per annum, London
- Designer createselect Up to £35K pa, depending on experience, West London
- Technical Project Manager/Architect Red Sofa London £300.00 - £350.00 per day, London
- Comms Planning Director Lipton Fleming £45000.00 per annum + benefits, London