Viacom signs Lastminute as launch partner for animated bus-side ads
LONDON - Viacom Outdoor is putting animated outdoor ads on to London bus sides fitted with LED screens, after signing up Lastminute.com to run a campaign in October.
The innovation upgrades static bus-side ads to moving images, which can be updated at different times of the day.
Twenty-five buses have each been fitted with one screen on the pavement side, meaning that the ads will be seen more by pedestrians than drivers. Transport for London and three bus companies operating the buses involved in the campaign have approved the screens.
Jon Lewen, digital account director for Viacom, said he believes the screens are a world first, although Viacom has already used lower-resolution LED screens on buses in a campaign for Nike in summer 2002.
Stuart Parish, Lastminute.com's media planning and purchasing manager, said: "The sites will offer us a standout and impact that will be hard to ignore and I'm confident they will be a huge success for us. While we can't give any more detail at the moment, it goes without saying that when Lastminute.com paints London buses pink with its cheeky advertising messages, it'll be hard to miss."
Viacom has been testing the application at the same time as installing and testing digital escalator panels using similar technology at Tottenham Court Road Tube station. The Tube digital panels have attracted advertisers such as Direct Line.
The bus screens take up half of the normal rectangular "superside" ad space and they measure roughly 3m by 0.8m.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Digital Planner- Charity brands Dynamic New Alliances £55000.00 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Brand Marketing Manager Brand Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, Suffolk
- Account Director - RTB Accord Group Limited c. £40,000 per annum, Central London WC1A 1DG
- Senior Account Manager Twist Recruitment £35000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Super Benefits!, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Designer - Marketing and Communications Brand Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, Buckinghamshire