MCBD and Elvis bought out by Canadian group Cossette
LONDON - Advertising agency Miles Calcraft Briginshaw Duffy, and its DM subsidiary Elvis, has sold a majority stake to Cossette Communication Group as a precursor to a takeover.
The first phase of the Canadian marketing group's acquisition is the purchase of a 51% stake in MCBD, worth about £7.8m. The agency's shareholders will also receive an additional "earn-out component", the value of which will be determined by the financial performance of MCBD and Elvis in the next two years.
The second phase of the deal is likely to take place in three years, when Cossette has the option to increase its ownership of MCBD to 75%. After five years, the group can buy out the remaining 25%.
"MCBD has developed an enviable reputation as a fast-growing, innovative, passionate and highly creative firm," Claude Lessard, chairman and chief executive of Cossette, said. "We are very pleased to welcome them to the Cossette network as a pivotal part of our operation in London, where we now offer a complete network array of convergent communication services. Most importantly, MCBD significantly enhances our international network."
MCBD founders Jeremy Miles, Helen Calcraft, Paul Briginshaw and Malcolm Duffy will remain with the company. Management at Elvis is also unaffected by the deal.
Miles said that MCBD had been approached by many suitors over the last few years, but none were suitable. "We didn't want to sell 100% equity of the business, do a three-year earn-out, boost profits, then leave," he said.
"It's a long-term partnership," he added.
The MCBD deal is Cossette's third London acquisition. In December 2003, it acquired brand consultancy Identica, which now has additional offices in New York and Shanghai. In September 2004, the group bought PR firm Band & Brown Group.
MCBD's had total billings of £26.7m in 2005. The group's clients include BBC Worldwide, Cadbury, Debenhams, Diageo and the Metropolitan Police.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Manager - Packaging - Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £28000 - £33000 per annum, London