Church of England shakes off 'churchy' image with poster drive
LONDON - The Church of England is attempting to shake off its missionary image with a black-and-white poster campaign created by Fallon, revealing the trendier side of church with taglines such as 'More dances are held in church halls than in dance halls'.
The posters are being sent electronically to churches to be distributed to parishes around the country, reminding the public that the church plays more of a role in local communities than they may realise.
Posters in the campaign include: "You have to be a pretty good bloke to let 40 screaming kids and a bouncy castle in your house"; "Why go to India to find yourself? You might be around the corner"; "Church. It's not as churchy as you think"; and "The church educates millions of children. And not in a 'what does Psalm 17 tell us', kind of way."
All of the posters end with the line: "Church. Part of modern life".
The posters have been designed to be less aggressive than in previous campaigns, which in the past have been criticised by some bishops and clergy for being "tastelessly provocative".
The ad campaign was devised for a documentary to be screened on Five called 'Don't Get Me Started: Godless Britain', presented by Christina Odone, to see if the agency could come up with a campaign to drive church attendance levels.
Fallon said the clergy could use the posters for free after clergy members expressed their satisfaction with the campaign strategy to raise awareness of church-based youth groups, clubs and activities.
Fallon is the ad agency that has been tasked with turning round the poor image of Skoda with a series of humorous ads such as its fat gymnast and dancing trouser press executions.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Qualitative Research Manager - Boutique Agency Elizabeth Norman International £28000 - £45000 per annum, West London
- Digital Marketing Analyst Stopgap £30000 per annum, London
- Account Director/Client Services Director - Channel Marketing Stonor £60,000 to £75,000- dependent on experience, Central London
- Internal Communications Senior Specialist Aquent £40K pa plus, London Central