BBC's Howling to boost Freeview take-up in new role
LONDON - DTV, the company that markets Freeview the free-to-air digital TV service, has appointed the BBC's head of digital marketing and communications Ilse Howling as general manager.
Howling will be responsible for the day-to-day operational management of DTV Services, which aims to sell Freeview to as many homes before analogue switch off begins in 2008. Freeview is currently in 5.1m homes in the UK.
Howling will take up the role at DTV, the joint venture between the BBC, Crown Castle and BSkyB, in October.
While at the BBC, Howling led the corporation's digital promotion, helping to boost the BBC's six extra digital channels by more than two-thirds in three years.
She was also influential in the launch of Freeview in 2002 and has since represented the BBC on the Freeview board.
Howling joined the BBC in 1993 and has held a variety of roles including chief assistant to the director of radio, head of internal communications on BBC News and Radio Five Live producer.
Peter Abery, chairman of Freeview, said: "I'm sure Ilsa will make a significant contribution to the company in her new role -- she was one of the main architects of the Freeview's original consumer proposition and she has worked very closely with the team since launch."
Ilse added: "Its simple, free proposition has been a huge success with consumers and we're set to go on bringing the benefits of the digital world to those homes yet to experience digital TV."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Project Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £28,000, Manchester
- Managing Partner / Client Services Director David Thatcher Recruitment £80-95k, Bristol