Ogilvy & Mather's 'real curves' campaign for Dove scoops Euro Effies Grand Prix
LONDON - The simple idea of putting real women in an ad for beauty products has seen Ogilvy & Mather scoop the Grand Prix at this year's Euro Effies, which recognises the most effective advertising on the continent.
The Grand Prix has been awarded to O&M's London and Dusseldorf offices for its "Real curves" campaign for Dove, as well as scooping gold in the Toiletries & Beauty category and a special prize called the Yahoo! Big Idea Award.
The Dove campaign is based on the simple idea that women are more likely to buy a beauty product if it is shown to work on "real" women, rather than cellulite-free, waif-like teenage models.
After the campaign was introduced, sales for Dove's firming products soared by 700% in the first half of 2004. As well as being effective, the campaign has also been praised for helping to make women feel better about themselves.
Other Gold winners at the Euro Effies, which were handed out in Brussels last night, were: TBWA for iPod "Silhouettes" in the IT/Telcoms category; 180 Amsterdam for Adidas' "Impossible is nothing" in the Corporate category; and Grey Dusseldorf, which won for Lenor "Poetry".
Jury chairman Simon Clift, chief marketing officer and group vice-president of personal care at Unilever, said: "As the competition develops, the bar will need to be continually raised -- winning a Euro Effie must be seen as a genuine achievement and viewed by clients and agencies as recognition of exceptional performance."
The competition was first held in the US in 1968 by the New York American Marketing Association. The Euro Effies have been running as a standalone event since 2003.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Business Development Manager Pure360 £20,000 - £25,000 depending on experience. £45k OTE uncapped, Brighton
- Comms Planning Manager PFJ £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London