Homer becomes Omar for Middle Eastern Simpsons
LONDON – 'The Simpsons' is getting a Middle Eastern makeover for Arab television with Homer, or Omar as he is called, drinking fizzy pop instead of Duff beer.
The redubbed and edited show will be called 'Al Shamshoon', with several changes to the characters to make them acceptable for a Muslim audience.
Bart has been renamed Badr, and Omar eats Arab Kahk cookies instead of doughnuts and drinks soft drinks instead of Duff Beer.
Seedy barman Moe no longer owns a bar, and he eats barbecued Egyptian beef sausages instead of hot dogs.
However, the world's most famous cartoon family have not lost their dysfunctional character traits, with Omar still being lazy and Badr continuing to enrage his headmaster and parents.
Egyption actors have been chosen to do the voices but catchpharses that transcend the language barrier, such as "Doh!" and "Aye-Carumba", will stay.
Dubai-based satellite station MBC Network Television is showing two episodes a day of 'Al Shamshoon' during the month of Ramadan with plans to extend the series and genre if it proves popular with viewers.
"I think 'The Simpsons' will open new horizons to us for the future. We are opening a new genre of programming in the Middle East," Michael Costandi, business development director of MBC, said.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Head Of Brand And Comms Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, South East
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Account Executive Lipton Fleming £20000 - £22000 per annum + Commission , London
- Head of Ecommerce Randstad £70000.00 per annum + Benefits, London
- User Experience Lead Aquent c.£55-70K + benefits , Central London (EC)