Publicis set to replace WPP on $700m global Samsung account
NEW YORK - WPP Group's Berlin Cameron/Red Cell and JWT are understood to have been dumped by Samsung after less than a year and replaced with rival Publicis Groupe agency Leo Burnett.
According to US reports, it is understood that Chicago-based Leo Burnett has replaced Berlin Cameron and JWT without a competitive pitch and will now handle strategy and management of the global account.
A spokeswoman for WPP refused to comment about the reports, which are certain to deal a body blow to WPP chief executive Sir Martin Sorrell, who personally led the company's efforts to win the account during a long, drawn-out pitch process.
WPP was appointed last November following a review that began seven months previously. The deal, estimated to be worth around $700m (£394m), also involved other WPP agencies under the Group M banner handling media buying and Wunderman taking on direct marketing. However, media and direct activity are believed to be unaffected by the move.
At the time of WPP's appointment, it was reported that a substantial amount of local business, said to be worth a further $400m, was not included in the account. It was understood that local creative agencies and Publicis, which pitched for the main advertising account, would be considered for this work.
Work carried out by Berlin Cameron included a global campaign called "Imagine". Part of this features a TV spot where a man gets delivered a flat-screen TV meant for his neighbour by mistake.
The "Imagine" strapline has also be used in locally executed campaigns including the Vallance Carruthers Coleman Priest spot featuring the Chelsea FC manager Jose Mourinho. The manager is seen using his Samsung phone to photograph a young man playing football and then runs away over the tops of building to an office, where he prints this picture out, with the line "It's not that hard to imagine".
Samsung Mobile are the shirt sponsors for Chelsea, having taken over from Emirates this year.
This morning WPP was down 2p to 550p a fall of 0.36%.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- New Business Development Manager - Creative Agency - £15k to £20k OTE £30k to £35k Stonor £15k to£20k with OTE £30k - £35k, Northants