ITV unveils edgy branding and idents for ITV4
LONDON – ITV has unveiled the branding and idents for its soon-to-be-launched male-skewed channel ITV4, aiming to change viewers' perception of the network.
Each ident starts with a picturesque image, then two sides of the screen merge together to reveal an unexpected perspective. For example, a cloudy blue skyline merges to form an image of a human face.
BBC Broadcast, now rebranded as Red Bee Media, developed six similar idents with a brief "collision of opposites" with the aim of "altering the opinion of male viewers about ITV".
The ITV4 logo is defaced for some of the idents with the geometric layout mirrored or skewed to give the brand a modern feel.
ITV's marketing team completed a segmentation study to understand the target audience and define the ITV4 brand.
In addition, ITV has created idents for some of its flagship shows. US drama 'Kojak' is advertised with the phrase "Mothersucker" with a lollipop instead of the "O".
Clare Salmon, ITV's director of marketing and commercial strategy, said: "It aims to build a relationship with an audience who have historically had little relationship with ITV and who are relatively discerning consumers of TV as a whole. We hope people will see this as a fresh approach from ITV -- prompting re-appraisal of the ITV portfolio as a whole."
The channel launches on Tuesday November 1 and its programme line-up includes the hotly anticipated remake of 'Kojak', live Uefa Champions League matches and cult films such as 'Carlito's Way' and 'The Fast and the Furious'.
The news comes as Sky customers have been told they will not be able to watch ITV4 until November 7, despite the fact that NTL and Freeview viewers will be able to tune in for the opening week.
The satellite company has blamed administrative issues, but to many the news will come as little surprise, given that Sky is set to launch its own free-to-view channel, Sky Three, the day before ITV4 goes live.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London