WPP given deadline to make bid for Aegis Group
LONDON - WPP Group and Hellman & Friedman have been given until November 25 to make an offer for Aegis Group, or else declare that they are not interested in making a bid.
The Takeover Panel made the ruling following a request by Aegis Group for a deadline to be drawn for the long-winded process. Robert Lerwill, chief executive of Aegis, has also said in the press that he wants WPP to make a decision "sooner and not later".
WPP and Hellman & Friedman first showed interested in Aegis in September, after rival advertising group Publicis admitted it was looking at a possible bid.
Publicis has since withdrawn from the race, leaving WPP and Hellman & Friedman as the only official contenders for Aegis.
WPP is interested in the acquisition because Aegis owns the market research network Synovate. If it did buy Aegis, along with Hellman & Friedman, it is likely the company would be broken up and media agencies Carat and Vizeum, as well as digital network Isobar, would be sold off.
In a statement today, the Takeover Panel said: "Following discussions with the parties' advisers, the panel executive has ruled that WPP and Hellman & Friedman must, by 12 noon on November 25 2005, either announce a firm intention to make an offer for Aegis under Rule 2.5 of the code or announce that they do not intend to make an offer for Aegis."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Content Strategist Zebra People £300 - £400 per day, London (East), London (Greater)
- Account Manager - Integrated - £28-32K Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £28000 - £32000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent agency benefits , London (Greater)
- Brand Manager Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40,000 - £42,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Innovation Development Manager Stopgap £35750 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Social Content Producer leading London Digital Agency highly progressive social account Ramsden Road c.£40k, London (Central), London (Greater)