Yahoo! bows out of AOL takeover race
NEW YORK - Yahoo! has reportedly ruled itself out of the running to buy a stake in Time Warner's AOL, citing integration problems, in a move that still leaves the door open for Microsoft and Google to emerge with a bid.
The Bloomberg news service says Yahoo! spokeswoman Joanna Stevens has confirmed it will pass up on the opportunity due to the potential upheaval involved in integrating the two brands.
The news service also quotes analyst Scott Kessler, of Standard & Poor's in New York, as saying this latest decision makes sense as Yahoo! has far less to gain from linking up with AOL than rivals such as Google and Microsoft.
It was previously speculated that Yahoo! was one of a number of suitors, following an announcement by Time Warner's chief executive Richard D Parsons last month that serious discussions with partners were under way.
Financial sources in New York claim that Microsoft is now the front-runner, in a move that could see its MSN brand merged with AOL.
Last month, it emerged that Google may be linking up with Comcast to make a bid of as much as $5bn (£2.9bn). This would involve taking over the AOL Instant Messenger Service as well as AOL.com.
AOL's websites are the second most visited in the US behind Yahoo!.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Paid Search Manager ( PPC ) - Leading Search Specialist Group Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Digital Web Designer: Fashion, Web, Email, Tablet, Mobile, HTML Creative Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Lead Graphic Designer (Print, Publishing, Fashion, Lifestyle) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Media Manager- BOUTIQUE agency- £40K! Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Sales Manager- Dynamic Video, digital & Mobile Business Ultimate Asset £35000 - £45000 per annum + amazing commission, London
- Account Director PFJ £40000 - £50000 per annum, London