AOL to launch free online TV channels showing vintage programming
LONDON – Time Warner's AOL will launch a free internet television service by early 2006 in a groundbreaking move to bring 3,400 hours of programming to viewers online.
The service, called In2TV, has taken two years to develop and is the first time a major TV studio has made primetime entertainment programmes available online at no charge.
In2TV will be supported by advertising and will feature 4,800 episodes spanning 100 series of Warner Bros-produced shows including primetime hits such as 'Wonder Woman', 'Welcome Back Kotter', 'Growing Pains' and 'Kung Fu'.
The internet channel will be divided into six channels: comedy; drama; animation; action; classic; and superhero/villain; with plans for two more channels.
The latest advance in digital media broadcasting looks like another nail in the coffin of traditional primetime network television, as consumers are given greater access to content beyond the TV set.
AOL, which merged with Time Warner in 2001, is said to be in talks with major providers to offer shows that are not owned by Time Warner. This will involve plans to add up to 14,000 episodes from the 300 series it has already cleared with rights holders.
The announcement comes a week after General Electric's NBC and Viacom-owned CBS revealed they will offer downloads of primetime TV shows, including as 'Law & Order', 'The Office', and 'Survivor', for 99 cents each.
ABC also revealed plans to make 'Desperate Housewives' and 'Lost' downloadable to iPods without ads for $1.99 a show and Yahoo! and TiVo launched a service that will allow TiVo owners to select Yahoo! web services online, with plans to also make programming available.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Assistant Category Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £27000 - £30000 per annum + + Bonus + Benefits, London
- Brand Strategy Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £43000 - £48000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, London