Microsoft links up with MCI for PC-to phone service
LONDON - Microsoft is to unveil a computer-to-telephone call service as part of a relaunch of its MSN Messenger brand as Windows Live Messenger.
The new service follows a link-up with telecoms firm MCI and will be a key selling point for Windows Live Messenger, which officially launches next year, but has been trialled since November.
The computer to phone link-up will initially launch in the US on a trial format of Windows Live Messenger and is expected to then be rolled out, with trials across in the UK, France, Germany and Spain within weeks.
Blake Irving, corporate vice-president of MSN communication services, said: "We are thrilled to work with a proven global technology provider like MCI to provide the bridge between PCs and phone with high-quality voice services that enable people to communicate more easily, conveniently and inexpensively."
Call charges in the US are to include one hour of free calls and a flat rate of 23 cents a minute to destinations globally, however, final pricing will not be decided until Windows Live Messenger's official launch next year.
Customers will also be able to buy prepaid blocks of call time from MCI as part of the deal.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Major Players £45000 - £55000 per annum, London