Coca-Cola and Pepsi battle it out with rival coffee drink launches
LONDON - Coca-Cola and Pepsi are going head to head with the launch of coffee-flavoured fizzy drinks next year, with the latter's Cino brand expected to be an early frontrunner in the UK with a million-sample giveaway backed by TV advertising.
While Pepsi is set to hand out the samples at rail stations and shopping centres in the UK from January. Coca-Cola is holding off a UK launch, instead preferring to trial its Coca Cola Blak brand in France in the same month.
A statement from Coca-Cola, however, does say that launches in other countries are set for later in 2006, but only mentions the US specifically.
Marc Mathieu, vice-president of global core brands at Coca-Cola, said: "This brand is ideal for any part of the day when people are looking for renewed energy or simply to take a break."
He added that launches will be supported by television, print, outdoor advertising, as well as point-of-sale activity.
It is understood that Pepsi's Cino will be available in 500ml and two-litre bottles, as well as six-by-330ml multipacks. The sample giveaway will involve a Pepsi Max Cino cafe bar, which will be set up at train stations and shopping centres.
This latest brand extension for Coca-Cola comes as it seeks to increase flagging sales with a new global advertising push in 2006.
This will have feature the slogan "Welcome to the Coke side of life" and has been developed by Wieden & Kennedy to replace the current "real" campaign. It is understood that it will have a 70s feel.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Advertising Sales Executive Culture Shock Media Salary dependent on experience , plus commission. , SW London