Shameless transfers to Chicago as NBC snaps up UK comedy hit
LONDON - Channel 4's 'Shameless' is set to follow in the footsteps of UK comedy hits 'Coupling' and 'The Office', with a US version of the show to be created.
The series writer and creator Paul Abbott is working on a version where the show's Manchester housing estate family, the Gallaghers, are transferred to Chicago.
It is understood the show has been snapped up by the NBC network, which already screens the US version of 'The Office'.
NBC is also home to Channel 4 comedy imports including 'My Name is Earl', 'Scrubs', 'West Wing' and 'Will & Grace'.
Speaking to journalists after 'Shameless' won this year's British Comedy Award for best comedy drama, Abbott said the life of the Gallagher's is universal and can apply globally.
A spokeswoman for Shameless production firm Company Pictures confirmed that Abbott was working on a US version.
Meanwhile, the show's third series in the UK is to begin on Channel 4 in January. The first episode will be 90 minutes long and centres on one of the younger Gallagher characters, Debbie, pretending one of her brothers has leukaemia by shaving his head and painting him yellow.
While 'The Office' has successfully transferred to the US market, other UK comedy shows have been less successful, most notably the US version of BBC's 'Coupling', which was cancelled by NBC within its first series.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Senior Category Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, Sputh East
- Regional Assistant Brand Manager- Europe Ball & Hoolahan £25,000 per annum, South East