Crazy Frog ringtone makes list of top 'sonic branding'
LONDON – It may drive us all round the bend, but Jamster's Crazy Frog ringtone has become the second-most memorable piece of 'sonic-branding' this year, according to a new survey.
In first place came Intel's "Intel Inside" ad jingle, which topped the survey of Britain's most recognisable commercial sounds.
Other well-known sounds in the top ten sonic brand chart include McDonalds' 'I'm Lovin it', Asda's bottom slapping jingle and Motorola's 'Hello Moto'.
The YouGov survey, commissioned by London-based interactive and sounds brand company, Moving Brands, interviewed 2,245 people to find out which brands sounds and music are recognisable to consumers.
Ben Wolstenholme, creative founder of Moving Brands, said: "Sonic brands are increasingly becoming a major part of pop culture, as demonstrated by Jamster's Crazy Frog enterprise. Brands often invest millions of pounds into creating extravagant visuals in adverts, but what they should also focus on is creating a definitive, catchy sonic logo."
Crazy Frog split the nation as, for every person who bought the ringtone, there appeared to be another complaining about the noise. The Advertising Standards Authority had to remind viewers that it had no power to ban ads because they were irritating, after receiving hundreds of complaints about the spot.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Recruitment Consultant Michael Page Digital £25000 - £3000 per annum, Kingston upon Thames
- Senior Community Manager Michael Page Digital £25000 - £45000 per annum, West End
- Online Marketing Manager Michael Page Digital £35000 - £38000 per annum, London
- Client Director Michael Page Digital £50000 - £55000 per annum, Leeds
- Senior Marketing Executive Network Marketing £25000 - £30000 per annum, Manchester
- Account Director - FMCG to £50k Network Career Consultants £45000 - £50000 per annum, London