Trinity Mirror appoints Webb as Mirror Group managing director
LONDON – Trinity Mirror has turned to former News International executive Richard Webb to be managing director of MGN, responsible for the Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror and The People.
Webb joins MGN after leaving News International in July, where he was general manager at NI's News Group operation, responsible for the commercial departments of the Sun and the News of the World.
Webb left Rupert Murdoch's newspaper business after he apparently missed out on a promotion following a reshuffle of senior executives.
He left after more than ten years at News International where he was ad director of The Sun and News of the World from 1995 to 2000, and deputy managing director of media planning and buying company Optimedia UK prior to that.
Until recently, Webb was chairman of the Newspaper Marketing Agency and a director of the National Readership Survey. The Newspaper Marketing Agency later named the commercial director of The Guardian, Stuart Taylor, as its new non-executive chairman.
Sly Bailey, chief executive of Trinity Mirror, said: "Richard's experience and track record make him a great addition to our management team."
Webb will join the company on January 3. He will be responsible for advertising, marketing, circulation, strategic planning, business enterprises, digital and pre-press operations and will report directly to Bailey.
"This is a very exciting role. I am looking forward to applying my newspaper and agency experience to these great brands in the highly challenging national newspaper market."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire