Unilever to offload Birds Eye as part of frozen food sell-off
LONDON - Unilever has confirmed it is to sell off its Birds Eye frozen foods brand, after unsuccessfully trying to boost its image and sales last year.
The sale of the brand, most famous for its Captain Birds Eye advertising campaigns, is part of a sell-off of almost its entire European frozen foods business.
Unilever's Italian frozen food business including the Findus brand, as well as the ice-cream portfolio, have been spared the axe.
The sell-off of Birds Eye comes as the brand struggled to shed an unhealthy image in recent years, despite a £60m overhaul of its range last year.
Patrick Cescau, Unilever group chief executive, said: "Deciding to put the majority of our European frozen food business up for sale has been a tough call. It has been a successful business for us over many years and we've built some great brands for consumers with memorable advertising.
"However, although we have made great progress in increasing profitability in recent years growth has been harder to come by."
He added that the decision followed a review of the business which started last September and concluded that selling was "the best way for us to create value" for Unilever.
This latest decision does not affect the Bertolli-branded frozen business in the US.
The total turnover of the frozen foods business, which employs around 3,500 people outside of Italy, is €2bn.
This latest announcement comes as Unilever reveals a pre-tax profit rise by 27% to €4.7bn from €3.7bn.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Account Director - FMCG & Retail to £55k Network Career Consultants £48000 - £55000 per annum, City of London
- Account Director - B2B & B2C to £65k Network Career Consultants £55000 - £65000 per annum, City of London