Paxman's Newsnight interviews among latest BBC podcasts
LONDON - Jeremy Paxman will be podcasting every week as part of the BBC's latest foray into the fast-growing medium, with 30 new radio programmes and highlights packages from across the network being made available.
Paxman's weekly podcast will be a pick of his Newsnight interviews, in an expanded package of podcasts including an hourly BBC World Service news summary and highlights from 'Woman's Hour', 'Start the Week', 'Broadcasting House' and 'Front Row'.
BBC Radio 1 and 1Extra are providing weekly podcasts including interviews, gossip, unsigned music and a daily speech-only piece from Chris Moyles and Scott Mills.
Radio 3 is joining the trial with 'Discovering Music' and Radio Five Live adds highlights of football debate from 606 and Simon Mayo's show.
The BBC said that there are plans to increase the number of programmes available to 29 to 50 in the near future.
Simon Nelson, controller of BBC Radio and Music Interactive, said: "In extending the trial, we're offering some of BBC Radio's most distinctive programming and a broad range of programming to cater for most tastes.
"The feedback we get from the trial is helping to inform our strategy for audio on demand, giving listeners the control they are increasingly used to in the digital age."
The BBC began podcasting Radio 4's 'In Our Time' and Radio Five Live's 'Fighting Talk' in 2004, and quickly enjoyed success with 240,000 downloads in the first four months. It expanded its podcasting last April to 20 shows from across the network.
Moyles's Radio 1 breakfast show became the UK's most popular podcast within days of it being made available for download last August.
Virgin Radio was the first UK commercial radio station to create a podcast of highlights from the Pete & Geoff breakfast show last March.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Business Development Manager Pure360 £20,000 - £25,000 depending on experience. £45k OTE uncapped, Brighton
- Comms Planning Manager PFJ £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London