City Slicker Hipwell made to wait in jail for appeal
LONDON - Former Daily Mirror journalist James Hipwell is to stay in jail for the time being after the Appeal Court turned down his bid to be freed on health grounds ahead of an appeal against his six-month sentence.
Hipwell, who has a transplanted kidney, is currently set to be released at the end of March after serving half his jail term, but is hoping to get out earlier by winning his appeal against the sentence.
Today the Appeal Court turned down his application to be released now because of his ill-health, but the judge ordered that his appeal hearing be expedited.
Hipwell was convicted of stock market manipulation. He made £41,000 out of tipping shares in the Daily Mirror's City Slickers column.
His co-defendant, day trader Terry Shepherd, was handed a three-month jail term, while fellow journalist Anil Bhoyrul, who pleaded guilty, was given 180 hours' community service.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Group Insight Director, Technology & Financial Jarlett de Grouchy £65000.00 - £80000.00 per annum + bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Sales Executive - Performance & Brand - Emerging Tech Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Strategist Zebra People £300 - £400 per day, London (East), London (Greater)
- Account Manager - Integrated - £28-32K Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £28000 - £32000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent agency benefits , London (Greater)