Industry welcomes easing of 2012 Olympics ad rules
LONDON - The IPA and Advertising Association has welcomed House of Lords amendments to the 2012 Olympics and Paralympics bill regarding official sponsor's rights, which will spare advertisers automatic £20,000 fines.
The IPA, which had been lobbying parliament since June 2005 to ensure the Olympics Bill balanced protection of official sponsor's rights with genuine freedom of commercial expression, had previously expressed concerns about the bill's effect on local businesses.
The most significant change will see the reinstatement of the normal presumption of innocence regarding advertising infringements. However, the bill still means that only official Olympic sponsors will be able to associate themselves with the London 2012 games.
Prior to the change, advertisers thought to be unofficially associating themselves with the games and which used a "Come to London in 2012" slogan, for example, would receive a fine of up to £20,000 for an automatic infringement.
Marina Palomba, IPA legal director, said: "The IPA, with aid of the Advertising Association, has been expressing concern over the bill for many months and now looks forward to a constructive working relationship with the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games over finalising guidelines for implementation of new London Olympics association right."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London
- Freelance Account Manager? We need you now! Exciting accounts and excellent rates up to £170 a day. Barker Graves Up to £170/day, central London