Sir Martin Sorrell lends weight to pro-European business campaign
LONDON - Sir Martin Sorrell, the WPP Group chief executive, is putting his weight behind a new pro-European campaigning body, Business for New Europe.
Reuters chairman Niall Fitzgerald, formerly chairman of Unilever and another well-known supporter of the EU, joins Sir Martin on the body's advisory council. Roland Rudd, whose financial PR firm Finsbury was bought by WPP in 2004, is its new chairman. BNE will focus on promoting liberalisation within the EU.
"Business for New Europe is the right organisation at the right time," Sorrell said. "We should be proud of Europe's many achievements for business, but there needs to be greater reform and liberalisation."
FitzGerald said: "It is important that there should be a robust business voice positive about the UK's role in the EU and championing the economic reform agenda. That is why I welcome the formation of BNE, which will go above and beyond party politics."
Other business leaders putting their names to the lobby group include David Levin, chief executive of United Business Media, and Charles Dunstone, chief executive of Carphone Warehouse.
BNE marked its launch with a YouGov poll of business leaders, which found 68% thought the single market had been good for British businesses while just 12% disagreed.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Advertising Sales Executive Culture Shock Media Salary dependent on experience , plus commission. , SW London