Packaging Media unveils on-pack promotional medium
LONDON – Packaging Media, a new marketing company, is launching an on-pack advertising medium to third-party advertisers and brand owners following a trial with companies including Tesco and Cadbury.
Using a patented tear-strip, a message is revealed on the inside of a package that targets consumers of the packaged product.
Packaging Media's "moreinside" concept can be used for brand building or product promotions, as well as sold as advertising space by the pack hosts to third parties.
The promotional marketing company launched this week following a year-long trial to establish the value of packaging as an advertising medium, through campaigns on packages for Tesco, Waitrose.com, Cadbury, Quorn, Jacob's Creek and Haagen Dazs.
Packaging Media charges promotional partners for "media space" and a percentage of the rate is paid to the packaging host as revenue.
Keran Turakhia, the agency's founder, said: "Until now the industry has failed to extract full value from packaging. This is astonishing when you consider that brand managers face ever growing pressure on their gross margins.
"There's absolutely no reason why packaging shouldn't be seen as another media tool, lying alongside direct mail, print and ambient, allowing third parties to talk directly to a highly targeted audience."
Packaging could also be used to develop more intimate relationships with the pack owner's consumers, Turakhia said.
In several trials, Tesco, Marlow Foods' Quorn and Gu Puds packaging promoted an offer from DVD rental company ScreenSelect.
Alex Chesterman, ScreenSelect's chief commercial officer, said: "We measure response by the number of consumers who actually take up a featured introductory offer, which requires them to go online and sign up with Screenselect.co.uk using a specific promotion code. In each case we have been delighted with the response generated."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London
- Senior Brand Strategist Rare Selection £75K - £100K, Central London