Packaging Media unveils on-pack promotional medium
LONDON – Packaging Media, a new marketing company, is launching an on-pack advertising medium to third-party advertisers and brand owners following a trial with companies including Tesco and Cadbury.
Using a patented tear-strip, a message is revealed on the inside of a package that targets consumers of the packaged product.
Packaging Media's "moreinside" concept can be used for brand building or product promotions, as well as sold as advertising space by the pack hosts to third parties.
The promotional marketing company launched this week following a year-long trial to establish the value of packaging as an advertising medium, through campaigns on packages for Tesco, Waitrose.com, Cadbury, Quorn, Jacob's Creek and Haagen Dazs.
Packaging Media charges promotional partners for "media space" and a percentage of the rate is paid to the packaging host as revenue.
Keran Turakhia, the agency's founder, said: "Until now the industry has failed to extract full value from packaging. This is astonishing when you consider that brand managers face ever growing pressure on their gross margins.
"There's absolutely no reason why packaging shouldn't be seen as another media tool, lying alongside direct mail, print and ambient, allowing third parties to talk directly to a highly targeted audience."
Packaging could also be used to develop more intimate relationships with the pack owner's consumers, Turakhia said.
In several trials, Tesco, Marlow Foods' Quorn and Gu Puds packaging promoted an offer from DVD rental company ScreenSelect.
Alex Chesterman, ScreenSelect's chief commercial officer, said: "We measure response by the number of consumers who actually take up a featured introductory offer, which requires them to go online and sign up with Screenselect.co.uk using a specific promotion code. In each case we have been delighted with the response generated."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Paid Search Manager ( PPC ) - Leading Search Specialist Group Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Digital Web Designer: Fashion, Web, Email, Tablet, Mobile, HTML Creative Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Lead Graphic Designer (Print, Publishing, Fashion, Lifestyle) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Media Manager- BOUTIQUE agency- £40K! Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Sales Manager- Dynamic Video, digital & Mobile Business Ultimate Asset £35000 - £45000 per annum + amazing commission, London
- Account Director PFJ £40000 - £50000 per annum, London