PepsiCo attempts to revitalise Walkers Sensations
LONDON – PepsiCo is attempting to shore up its flagging Walkers Sensations 'posh' crisps brand with a fresh advertising campaign, packaging and new flavours.
During a year in which the entire Walkers portfolio has been hard hit by health concerns, upmarket Sensations took a massive tumble in 2005. According to ACNielsen, sales nosedived by 17.8% year on year.
Walkers claims new, more authentic flavours and packaging that highlights real ingredients will drive sales and reverse the fortunes of the brand. An ad campaign by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO backing the relaunch will kick off later this month.
Previous campaigns have featured Tara Palmer-Tomkinson stripping in front of Gary Lineker to reveal stockings and a basque. That campaign, also created by AMV, ran in 2004.
Dominic South, Sensations' brand manager, said: "Walkers Sensations has always been synonymous with innovative flavours, but the new emphasis on real ingredients and authentic seasonings will make them even more appealing to consumers."
PepsiCo claims the four-year-old Walkers Sensations brand is now worth £120m. It says sales of big bag crisps in the evening snacking sector have risen by 27%, with Walkers accounting for 78% of the growth.
Sensations' new flavours include Gently Infused Lime & Thai Spices, Slow Roasted Lamb & Moroccan Spices and Simply Sea Salt. Lime & Coriander Chutney poppadoms and Japanese Beef Teriyaki crackers are also new to the line-up.
The sensations push follows Walkers launching a campaign to highlight the fact that its core range of crisps is now produced using healthier oil.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, Central London