BBC unveils details of World Cup coverage
LONDON - The BBC has added glamour to its line-up of World Cup pundits by recruiting two World Cup winners, Brazilian Leonardo and Frenchman Marcel Desailly.
The duo's comprehension of English will be tested to the limit by a third recruit, Celtic manager Gordon Strachan and his gabbled Scottish interview style, but the regular team of presenters - Gary Lineker, Alan Hansen, Ian Wright, Lee Dixon and Alan Shearer - will be on hand to translate.
The BBC's coverage extends across TV, radio, interactive TV, the internet and the new on-trial technology of high-definition TV. Live TV coverage has been split between the BBC and ITV, although BBC Radio Five Live will offer live commentary of every match bar one.
New ingredients include Player Ratings, where website and TV viewers can rate players in-match; The Beautiful Frame, allowing fans to send in their World Cup photos to the BBC's World Cup website; and a World Cup blog. The bloggers are two BBC journalists travelling around the host country Germany in a camper van, relating their adventures and taking advice from readers.
Digital TV viewers will have a number of extra interactive opportunities available to them such as 'Live match' and 'replay' options available 24 hours a day.
Viewers will also have multiple choice on audio transition including BBC match commentary, Five Live's commentary or real-time noise from the stadium.
Big outdoor screens will be set up by the BBC for the duration of the tournament in cities including Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester and Hull, while Five Live will tour with smaller mobile screens.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Board Account Director Dynamic New Alliances £75000.00 per annum, City of London
- Head of Paid Social PFJ £65000.00 - £75000.00 per annum + great benefits, London
- Digital Acquisition Manager Adam Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, North West England
- Head of Customer Services - Digital NPS - Online Retail - Web Salt £40000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits + Car Allowance + Bonus, Northamptonshire
- Account Manager Red Sofa London £28000 - £32000 per annum, London
- GRAPHIC DESIGNER - TECHNOLOGY COMPANY - WEST LONDON - £35k Salt £35000 per annum, London