BBC unveils details of World Cup coverage
LONDON - The BBC has added glamour to its line-up of World Cup pundits by recruiting two World Cup winners, Brazilian Leonardo and Frenchman Marcel Desailly.
The duo's comprehension of English will be tested to the limit by a third recruit, Celtic manager Gordon Strachan and his gabbled Scottish interview style, but the regular team of presenters - Gary Lineker, Alan Hansen, Ian Wright, Lee Dixon and Alan Shearer - will be on hand to translate.
The BBC's coverage extends across TV, radio, interactive TV, the internet and the new on-trial technology of high-definition TV. Live TV coverage has been split between the BBC and ITV, although BBC Radio Five Live will offer live commentary of every match bar one.
New ingredients include Player Ratings, where website and TV viewers can rate players in-match; The Beautiful Frame, allowing fans to send in their World Cup photos to the BBC's World Cup website; and a World Cup blog. The bloggers are two BBC journalists travelling around the host country Germany in a camper van, relating their adventures and taking advice from readers.
Digital TV viewers will have a number of extra interactive opportunities available to them such as 'Live match' and 'replay' options available 24 hours a day.
Viewers will also have multiple choice on audio transition including BBC match commentary, Five Live's commentary or real-time noise from the stadium.
Big outdoor screens will be set up by the BBC for the duration of the tournament in cities including Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester and Hull, while Five Live will tour with smaller mobile screens.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Account Manager - Communication/ Branding to £35k Network Career Consultants £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Global Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, London