Hachette closes B Magazine following review
LONDON – Hachette Filipacchi has closed its women's monthly lifestyle magazine B after concluding a month-long review of the title's future.
The magazine employed 20 staff and was one year short of celebrating its tenth birthday. It was launched by Attic Futura in 1997 and was acquired by Hachette in October 2002 when the publisher established itself in the UK.
Hachette chairman Kevin Hand said the young women's market has seen a sharp decline in sales which shows no sign of improving.
"B no longer represents a long-term viable business proposition in our portfolio and we intend to invest our resources in our new launch, Psychologies, and our recent acquisition, Real Homes, combined with developing our digital operations," he said.
The magazine was edited by Nina Ahmed, who replaced Frances Sheen last year. It was relaunched in 2005 following a complete revamp, but its sales fell 10.1% over the last six months of 2005, from 167,371 copies to 150,536, according to ABC figures.
Hachette suspended B at the end of March on the heels of its closure of teen spin-off ElleGirl, which closed at the end of last year.
In January Hachette suspended its Crime Confidential magazine.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London