Hachette closes B Magazine following review
LONDON – Hachette Filipacchi has closed its women's monthly lifestyle magazine B after concluding a month-long review of the title's future.
The magazine employed 20 staff and was one year short of celebrating its tenth birthday. It was launched by Attic Futura in 1997 and was acquired by Hachette in October 2002 when the publisher established itself in the UK.
Hachette chairman Kevin Hand said the young women's market has seen a sharp decline in sales which shows no sign of improving.
"B no longer represents a long-term viable business proposition in our portfolio and we intend to invest our resources in our new launch, Psychologies, and our recent acquisition, Real Homes, combined with developing our digital operations," he said.
The magazine was edited by Nina Ahmed, who replaced Frances Sheen last year. It was relaunched in 2005 following a complete revamp, but its sales fell 10.1% over the last six months of 2005, from 167,371 copies to 150,536, according to ABC figures.
Hachette suspended B at the end of March on the heels of its closure of teen spin-off ElleGirl, which closed at the end of last year.
In January Hachette suspended its Crime Confidential magazine.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London