Corgi toys go under the hammer for auction website
LONDON - Corgi, the collectable toy and modelmaker, has launched an eBay-style live auction website, which it says will create a level playing field for collectors to bid for toys online.
The Corgi website has already attracted 600 registered users, who can watch the progress of their bids over a 10-day period.
The first lots under the hammer were for the company's gold plated 50th anniversary range. A model E-Type Jaguar received 3,443 bids, fetching £155, double its reserve price.
Jill Davey, marketing manager at Corgi Collectables, said: "From time to time, Corgi has extremely rare models that, in the past, many of our collectors could only dream of getting their hands on.
"We started TV advertising back in 1957 and now we want to make best use of the internet to reach our collectors."
Other models to attract major bids on the site include a Supermarine Spitfire Mk1, a Simon Snorkel fire engine and a Bristol Lodekka double-decker bus.
The internet auction has been supported by regular email bulletins sent to Corgi's collector database, announcements in the collector media and Corgi's collector clubs.
Corgi, which was founded in 1956, specialises in die-cast collectable cars, buses, planes and trucks.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Senior Account Manager Dynamic New Alliances £30000.00 - £36000.00 per annum, City of London