Flybe forgoes stadium naming rights in Saints deal
LONDON - Flybe has decided to forgo its right to rename the Southampton Football Club stadium with its own branding in a move it says shows its commitment to supporting the game in the local community.
Flybe has the right to co-brand the stadium, after signing a three-year sponsorship deal with the club, but has opted to use the ground's original name, St Mary's Stadium. For the past five seasons, the ground has officially been called The Friends Provident St Mary's Stadium.
The airline's logo will still appear on The Saints' shirts and some branding on Kingsland Stands.
The move is in stark contrast to Premiership clubs such as Arsenal, which has signed a £100m deal with the airline Emirates in which its new ground will be officially named Emirates Stadium.
The Saints, which now play in the Coca-Cola Championship League having been relegated from the Premiership in 2005 after 27 years, welcomed the move, pointing out that most fans referred to the ground as St Mary's anyway.
Ian Taylor, general manager of market development at Flybe, said: "While it is important to us in our role as the main club sponsor that the team carry the Flybe name, it is the fans that really have ownership of the stadium where their team plays.
"So it seems perfectly right that our first act as club sponsor should be to give the name of the stadium back to the fans and we are pleased that from now on the ground will be known simply as St Mary's."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Senior Brand Consultant - Brand Strategist Royds Raphael £85k-£100k+neg, London
- PROCUCTION MANAGER / DIRECTOR - BRANDING DESIGN & STRATEGY Royds Raphael £45k-£50k+neg, London