Unions urge England to boycott Peugeot in ad campaign
LONDON - Amicus and the T&G unions launch a £1m press and poster advertising campaign tomorrow to encourage consumers not to buy Peugeot and Citroen cars, following the car company's announcement to close its Coventry factory.
The creative, designed by Amicus in-house, aims to provoke Peugeot into further talks with the unions to allow production to continue at the Ryton plant.
The ads encourage car buyers to "Think of England" and will play on the patriotism surrounding the World Cup.
Peugeot announced in April that the factory was to close in 2007 and production would move to France and Slovakia, with the loss of 2,300 jobs.
Derek Simpson, Amicus' general secretary, said: "Companies that seek to sell in Britain, should build in Britain.
"We believe that the wider British public will want to send a powerful message and a drop in sales will really hit them where it hurts."
Full-page ads will appear in The Mirror and The Guardian tomorrow with further ads in trade, regional and national press, while 48-sheet posters will also appear near Peugeot and Citroen dealers.
Tony Woodley, T&G general secretary, said of the car company: "Peugeot is motivated by sheer greed and needs to understand that there will be painful consequences if they shut up shop in Britain in this fashion."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Major Players £45000 - £55000 per annum, London