Cartoon Network set to launch broadband service
LONDON - Cartoon Network is set to launch a paid-for broadband television service called SuperCartoonNetwork.co.uk by the end of the year.
The network's parent company Turner Broadcasting Systems has partnered with digital rights company Premium TV to provide the service for its flagship children's channel.
The broadband site will be Cartoon Network's first venture into bespoke broadband content following several television networks, including the BBC and Channel 4 into the burgeoning sector.
The site will be subscriber based and will include Cartoon Network shows, such as 'Xiaolin Showdown', 'Ben 10' and 'Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends'. Subscribers to the site will also be able to watch archived material from the channel, such as 'Scooby Doo'.
Under the terms of the two-year deal, Premium TV will provide the broadband platform for Turner, on which Super Cartoon Network will broadcast within the Europe, Middle East and Africa region. Viewers will be able to pay for content via monthly or annual subscriptions or on a pay-per-view basis.
Casey Harwood, senior vice-president of digital media at TBS, said: "The broadband market is maturing to the stage where there is a real commercial opportunity in offering consumers a true broadband experience. Based on their expertise and talent, Premium TV will play a key role in helping us realise this."
Oliver Slipper, chief executive of Premium TV, added: "This deal firmly establishes Premium TV in the entertainment sector. We have an excellent reputation in the sports world and it's a natural progression for us to move into this sector. Our broadcasting expertise will perfectly complement Turner Broadcasting Systems' digital portfolio."
Cartoon Network recently rolled out a new-look website to all European territories.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, London
- Creative Project Assistant become £20K-£24K, London