Fremantle Media announce executive changes following senior management shake up
LONDON - Alan Boyd, the president of Fremantle Media, the production company behind 'Pop Idol' and 'Jamie's School Dinners', is to step back from his role following a senior management shake-up.
Fremantle Media said the internal changes in the company were a result of its decision to combine its worldwide drama and entertainment divisions under the new title Fremantle Media Creative Networks, which will be headed by Gary Carter, formerly senior executive vice-president of worldwide entertainment.
Boyd, the former chief executive of Thames Television, will concentrate on his own production firm Alan Boyd Productions, but will continue to consult with Fremantle Media and its entertainment franchise RTL Group.
Veteran broadcaster Boyd, who was responsible for creating London Weekend Television's 'Game For A Laugh' and 'Blind Date', is also credited with securing ITV and Fox's commissions for 'Pop Idol' and 'American Pop Idol' respectively.
Carter will be tasked with driving Fremantle Media's move towards producing more in-house programming, and will oversee its global network of over 20 production companies. Freemantle is also behind 'Neighbours' and 'The Bill'.
Boyd will become a special advisor under chief executive officer Tony Cohen, where he will consult on the 'Pop Idol' and 'X Factor' franchises.
Cohen said "Alan has agreed to become a special advisor at Fremantle Media and RTL Group. He has done a tremendous job of overseeing the rollout of the 'Idols' brand and his years of production and commissioning experience will continue to prove a great asset to the company."
In other changes, Fremantle Media's current president of worldwide drama, Mike Murphy, will now focus on the company's serialised dramas, including 'The Bill' and other foreign language productions.
"Gary is a very talented executive and will play a crucial role in the future working with our producers to build on our tremendous success in scripted and unscripted programming.
"Mike has made a fantastic contribution to growing our international drama business over the past few years and I am delighted that he will now focus on the vital task of building on our scripted business in the US.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Senior Brand Strategist Rare Selection £75K - £100K, Central London
- Brand / Senior Brand Consultant Rare Selection Salaries from £40K - £85K, Central London