BT and NBC in download and video-on-demand deal
LONDON - BT has signed a deal with NBC Universal that will make TV shows and films available to customers to download and watch, including recent hits such as 'Inside Man', 'King Kong' and 'Jarhead'.
The digital distribution deal, which is also with Universal Pictures, covers BT's PC and its TV service, which launches in the autumn, and also allows customers to simply rent movies or to buy them outright for future viewing. If they buy them outright, customers will get a DVD in the post as well as the files on their PCs.
On Monday, BT will launch its new film and television PC download service, which is being rolled out ahead of the BT Vision TV, supported by software from Microsoft and a set-top box device from Philips. Like Freeview there will be no mandatory monthly subscription charge.
The PC-based film and TV download service will build to offer 150 Universal titles available on the same date as the UK DVD release.
Dan Marks, CEO BT Vision, said: "Customers increasingly expect to enjoy entertainment when, where and how they want it and this agreement will help to make that possible.
"This groundbreaking deal with NBC Universal enables BT customers to watch some of the world's best entertainment titles through their TV, PC or portable player and choose whether to own or rent. They can also receive a DVD in the post as part of the package."
Beth Minehart, a senior vice-president at NBC Universal International Television Distribution, added: "As the on-demand entertainment experience continues to evolve globally, this agreement underscores the importance of choice and convenience for the consumer."
Earlier this year BT signed a video-on-demand deal with film studio DreamWorks SKG for BT Vision.
Additional deals have been signed with 'Big Brother' producer Endemol and Turner Broadcasting's Cartoon Network.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- European Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South East
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Visual Merchandising Manager (Retail, Fashion, Creative, VM) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum + Negotiable, Hertfordshire