BT and NBC in download and video-on-demand deal
LONDON - BT has signed a deal with NBC Universal that will make TV shows and films available to customers to download and watch, including recent hits such as 'Inside Man', 'King Kong' and 'Jarhead'.
The digital distribution deal, which is also with Universal Pictures, covers BT's PC and its TV service, which launches in the autumn, and also allows customers to simply rent movies or to buy them outright for future viewing. If they buy them outright, customers will get a DVD in the post as well as the files on their PCs.
On Monday, BT will launch its new film and television PC download service, which is being rolled out ahead of the BT Vision TV, supported by software from Microsoft and a set-top box device from Philips. Like Freeview there will be no mandatory monthly subscription charge.
The PC-based film and TV download service will build to offer 150 Universal titles available on the same date as the UK DVD release.
Dan Marks, CEO BT Vision, said: "Customers increasingly expect to enjoy entertainment when, where and how they want it and this agreement will help to make that possible.
"This groundbreaking deal with NBC Universal enables BT customers to watch some of the world's best entertainment titles through their TV, PC or portable player and choose whether to own or rent. They can also receive a DVD in the post as part of the package."
Beth Minehart, a senior vice-president at NBC Universal International Television Distribution, added: "As the on-demand entertainment experience continues to evolve globally, this agreement underscores the importance of choice and convenience for the consumer."
Earlier this year BT signed a video-on-demand deal with film studio DreamWorks SKG for BT Vision.
Additional deals have been signed with 'Big Brother' producer Endemol and Turner Broadcasting's Cartoon Network.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London
- Account Manager Purple Consultancy £28000 - £35000 per annum, London