Amazon takes on Hollywood with film rights deal
LONDON - Online retailer Amazon.com is turning its hand to film-making after striking a deal for the rights to a bestselling novel.
Amazon has acquired the rights to 'The Stolen Child', a fantasy novel by author Keith Donohue, and will team up with a Hollywood studio and producer.
Set in the American northeast, the book tells the story of hobgoblins who steal a young boy, Henry, and replace him with a changeling or copy of the stolen child. The book alternates between unfolding the story of the human Henry and his hobgoblin counterpart. It currently ranks number 62 in Amazon's list of bestsellers.
Amazon does not intend to co-finance the film, what it will do instead is market the film and its DVD on its website.
It said the company's expertise and global customers could make it "an extremely valuable partner in the marketing and distribution of this film".
This year, Amazon has increased its interest in web programming, launching a weekly interview programme called with artists and authors hosted by Bill Maher, the political and cultural commentator.
Donahue featured on the talk show 'Amazon Fishbowl with Bill Maher', along with horror novelist Stephen King and actor Toni Collette.
In 2004, the retailer produced five short live-action films on its website, featuring actors Minnie Driver and Daryl Hannah, which were used to flag up its credit card and the range of goods available on its US site.
Earlier this week, the shopping giant posted a 58% slump in net income to $22m (£12m) in the three months to June 30, from $52m a year earlier. Sales were up 22% in the quarter to $2.14bn.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Account Manager - Communication/ Branding to £35k Network Career Consultants £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Global Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, London