Cotton and Yates take over Radio 1 weekend breakfast
LONDON - The BBC has appointed Fearne Cotton and Reggie Yates as the new presenters of the Radio 1 weekend breakfast show, taking the 7am-10am slot from DJ Spoony who is bowing out from the station in September.
DJ Spoony has recently extended his contract with sister BBC station BBC Radio Five Live to continue broadcasting his football phone-in show '606', as well as signing up for other as-yet-unnamed programme opportunities at Five Live.
He will also be looking into opportunities for a move into television presenting following his work on 'Top of the Pops'.
Cotton and Yates, who already host the early morning shift on Friday mornings between 4am-7am, joined the station in September 2005, and will join weekend daytime presenters Vernon Kay, Sara Cox and Trevor Nelson, as part of a refreshed line-up.
Ben Cooper, head of mainstream at Radio 1, said: "This is a key show for Radio 1 and Fearne and Reggie are total stars. I believe we now have the best weekend line-up in music radio in the country.
"Spoony has done a great job for the station and with his passion for sport matching his passion for music he has got an amazing career ahead of him and we wish him all the best."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Decision Sciences Analyst Dot-Gap £35k, London
- Digital Media Manager Dot-Gap £35k, Central London
- Head of Display Dot-Gap £75k, Central London
- Integrated Account Manager Dynamic New Alliances £25000.00 - £30000.00 per annum, London
- Brand Analyst, Social Media Hasson Associates £30,000 - £35,000, Central London
- Senior Insight Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £30000.00 - £40000.00 per annum + car allowance+ bonus, Berkshire