Salaries and staff attrition on rise in call centre industry
LONDON - The average salary of a new call centre agent has grown 4% to break the £14,000 mark for the first time, but staff turnover has increased for the fourth year running to 23%, according to research.
The figures are provided in the 2006 edition of contact centre industry researcher Contact Babel's UK Contact Centre Operational Review.
The report found that the level of staff turnover is causing problems for 43% of contact centres, and is the biggest issue currently facing the industry because it is restricting its ability to grow.
Steve Morrell, principal analyst at Contact Babel, said: "The contact centre business model is very much alive, with senior management looking to invest in further growth within the UK, in terms of headcount and skills.
"However, their ambitions are being reined back by growing staff attrition rates, which mean that their efforts are simply being spent on keeping where they are."
The report claims that cold calling is on the wane because of legislation and customer pressure, and an increasing proportion of outbound calling is now to existing customers.
It surveyed contact centres on their over-dial rate in the light of the DMA's best practice code that silent calls should make up not more than 5% of all calls during any 24-hour period.
The average rate among this year's respondents is 1.7% and Morrell said the most aggressive users of outbound dialling -- the finance, outsourcing and telecoms sectors -- have "throttled back their over-dial rates considerably".
The report is built from interviews with more than 200 contact centre directors and managers. It can be purchased for £195 plus VAT, for details see Contact Babel's website.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London
- Mobile media publisher manager Ultimate Asset £38000 - £45000 per annum, London