McCann Group loses further General Motors business
DETROIT - The McCann Group of agencies has suffered another blow to its grip on the General Motors account, as its $100m (£53.5m) US corporate account, promoting the company's increasing dedication to alternative fuels and environmental issues, shifts from McCann-Erickson to fellow Interpublic agency Deutsch.
The news comes on top of the loss of the £400m General Motors pan-European media account, which is set to shift from the group's media agency Universal McCann to the Aegis network, as revealed exclusively by Campaign on Brand Republic yesterday.
Industry sources said that GM made the decision to move the business into Aegis after contractual wranglings with Universal McCann.
The decision follows the switch last year of its $2.5bn US media account from Universal McCann to Starcom MediaVest Group.
Mike Jackson, General Motors North America vice-president for marketing and advertising, said: "GM is fundamentally changing the way we market and sell our vehicles. We are very focused on addressing the quality perception gap between how consumers view GM cars and trucks and the reality of how beautifully designed and well engineered they truly are.
"The GM 100,000 Mile Warranty campaign, which Deutsch helped us launch last month, is the latest example of this new level of confidence at GM today."
GM produces car marques such as Hummer, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Saab and Cadillac.
GM is challenging all of its agencies to improve consideration by not only promoting its new vehicle line-up, but by closing the perceptual gap in areas such as quality and fuel efficiency.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - FMCG to £50k Network Career Consultants £45000 - £50000 per annum, London
- User Experience / User Interface (UX/UI) Designer Harnham £40000 - £80000 per annum + Bonus & excellent benefits, City of London
- Marketing Manager Better Placed Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits, Greater Manchester
- Social Media Account Manager - Global Agency - London Digital Gurus £27000 - £32000 per annum + Benefits , London
- Responsive Designer (Top 10 NMA) Premier Media £35K + benefits, Central London
- Award-Winning Integrated Creative Team Premier Media Circa 55K + Benefits, Central London