McCann Group loses further General Motors business
DETROIT - The McCann Group of agencies has suffered another blow to its grip on the General Motors account, as its $100m (£53.5m) US corporate account, promoting the company's increasing dedication to alternative fuels and environmental issues, shifts from McCann-Erickson to fellow Interpublic agency Deutsch.
The news comes on top of the loss of the £400m General Motors pan-European media account, which is set to shift from the group's media agency Universal McCann to the Aegis network, as revealed exclusively by Campaign on Brand Republic yesterday.
Industry sources said that GM made the decision to move the business into Aegis after contractual wranglings with Universal McCann.
The decision follows the switch last year of its $2.5bn US media account from Universal McCann to Starcom MediaVest Group.
Mike Jackson, General Motors North America vice-president for marketing and advertising, said: "GM is fundamentally changing the way we market and sell our vehicles. We are very focused on addressing the quality perception gap between how consumers view GM cars and trucks and the reality of how beautifully designed and well engineered they truly are.
"The GM 100,000 Mile Warranty campaign, which Deutsch helped us launch last month, is the latest example of this new level of confidence at GM today."
GM produces car marques such as Hummer, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Saab and Cadillac.
GM is challenging all of its agencies to improve consideration by not only promoting its new vehicle line-up, but by closing the perceptual gap in areas such as quality and fuel efficiency.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, Central London