VNU considers sale of European business media division
LONDON - Market research and media giant VNU has revealed it may sell its European business media division, which includes more than 70 trade magazines such as Computing and Accountancy Age.
The global market research and media company said this morning it plans to explore strategic alternatives for its Business Media Europe group because it does not fit with the rest of its assets.
VNU owns the Nielsen TV ratings business and trade magazines such as Billboard and Hollywood Reporter.
"The company is considering alternatives for BME because the group's activities are not well aligned with VNU's marketing information and media measurement businesses," VNU's statement said.
The strategic review excludes the company's US business media division, which is judged to have "greater synergies with the core marketing and media information activities", and its Netherlands and China joint venture with exhibition company Jaarbeurs.
BME's print, online and events portfolio covers sectors including recruitment, business-to-business IT, computing, business and finance.
According to VNU, BME is one of the first traditional media companies to have made the transition to an integrated, cross-media enterprise, with online media currently generating 25% of its ad revenue.
The review comes only five weeks after the company appointed David Calhoun, previously vice-president of General Electric, as chairman and chief executive.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Midweight Creative Team - digital and direct The Industry Club London Ltd £35,000, Central London
- Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, Halifax
- Midweight Designer Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, West Midlands
- Senior Art Director Pitch Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, Warwickshire