Bebo appoints Charkin as head of sales for UK and Ireland
LONDON - Social networking website Bebo has appointed Mark Charkin, the former head of EMEA regional sales at MSN, as its head of sales for UK and Ireland.
Charkin will be tasked with building the ad sales business across the two markets, and creating a platform to increase Bebo's profile.
Prior to joining Bebo, Charkin oversaw MSN's EMEA regional sales business. Its success led to the model being adopted for the company's sales teams in Asia, Latin America and the US.
He has nine years' experience in the online sales industry, and was UK sales manager at Lycos before joining MSN.
Charkin said: "Bebo is attracting great new brands and innovative agencies, presenting me with the chance to play a key part in helping to define the new rules of pull marketing."
Jim Scheinman, vice-president of business development and sales at Bebo, added: "Mark will help redefine what advertisers can expect from today's advertising and work with them in a very deep way to engage consumers."
Bebo's co-founders Michael and Xochi Birch reportedly received an approach from Viacom to acquire the site in July, after the US media giant lost out on the sale of MySpace to Rupert Murdoch's News Corp for $580m.
Since then, the race to acquire social networking and user generated content websites has heated up considerably, with Google snapping up YouTube for $1.67bn (£887m), prompting Yahoo! to up its pursuit of Facebook.
However, it was reported earlier in the week that Yahoo's! negotiations with Facebook were making slow progress, after the search giant appeared reluctant to increase its $1bn offer.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Qualitative Research Manager - Boutique Agency Elizabeth Norman International £28000 - £45000 per annum, West London
- Digital Marketing Analyst Stopgap £30000 per annum, London
- Account Director/Client Services Director - Channel Marketing Stonor £60,000 to £75,000- dependent on experience, Central London
- Internal Communications Senior Specialist Aquent £40K pa plus, London Central