Barclays hires Tesco's Dodd for branch redesign
LONDON - Barclays has recruited Helen Dodd, the Tesco format and design director, to carry out a makeover of its stores.
She takes up the new role of head of network development within Barclay's UK retail banking division in January after five years at Tesco, where she oversaw design work for the supermarket's Kensington superstore, standalone non-food stores and London's Tesco Express branches.
A spokeswoman said that the appointment had been made to "improve the customer experience" at the bank, with her responsibilities covering branch format and design, as well as corporate wear for the bank's 30,000 frontline staff.
She also confirmed that Dodd's role will include overseeing the hiring of design agencies for branch overhaul work.
It also comes amid a trend among banks to employ retail techniques and expertise to attract and keep customers. Earlier this year, HBOS hired Andy Hornby, the former Asda director, as chief executive and HSBC has recently undergone an overhaul of branches.
Deanna Oppenheimer, Barclays UK retail banking chief executive, said: "I am looking forward to ideas that move us much closer to the best of the high street. After all, banks are retailers even if our customers leave us with a financial solution rather than a carrier bag.
Prior to joining Tesco, Dodd, who is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, worked in a senior design role at Sainsbury's.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER / SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER Royds Raphael £35K-£45K pa / £150 - £200 day rate., London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER / ACCOUNT DIRECTOR Royds Raphael £50K-£60K, London
- Business Development Director - Design Branding and Integrated - London Spectrum £70,000 - £90,000, London
- Middleweight Graphic Designer become £28-35K, Central London