BBC World and Orange extend mobile deal to eight countries
LONDON - BBC World and mobile phone network Orange have extended their distribution deal to allow the broadcaster's content to be downloaded to viewers in eight countries.
Under the terms of the existing contract, Orange customers in France have been able to watch BBC World since 2004, but the new deal will allow viewers to access live BBC World news coverage in Belgium, Poland, the Netherlands, Romania, Portugal, Jordan, Egypt and the Dominican Republic.
The agreement will also encompass BBC World's new-media distribution channels for mobile, broadband and live streaming to PCs.
Patricia Langrand, executive vice-president of content division at France Telecom, said: "This agreement allows us to extend and enhance our mobile TV offer ensuring Orange customers have access to a variety of channels at any time."
Gerry Ritchie, BBC World's regional director and business development, said: "This new live streaming deal makes our channel even more accessible to mobile users who like to keep in touch with breaking global news while on the move."
Last week the National Geographic Channel launched a subscription mobile TV service through Orange, featuring clips from a range of programmes, including 'Amazing Moments' and 'Demolition Squad'.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London