Surge in Kazakh hotel searches thanks to Borat effect
LONDON - Holiday search engine Hotels.com claims it has experienced a 300% hike in searches for hotels based in Kazakhstan, thanks to the publicity generated at the box office by fictional Kazakh Borat.
According to Hotels.com, the hitherto little-known country has earned itself a place on the tourist map thanks to the cinematic release of comedian Sacha Baron Cohen's 'Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan'. This is despite the fact that the film's fictional depiction of the country is far from flattering and none of the film's scenes were actually shot in the country.
"Sacha Baren Cohen's 'Borat' is Kazakh television's top media personality, and the film follows his journey to the US to create 'Borat's Guide to the USA'," the Hotels.com press release said, with no clear indication of irony. The Kazakh scenes were all shot in a poverty-stricken village in rural Romania.
Hotels.com represents Kazakhstan hotels including the Hyatt Regency Almaty, Best Eastern Otrar, Premier Alatau Hotel and the Best Eastern Ambassador Almaty.
Hotels.com hopes that now that the country is in the spotlight, not in the least thanks to its vehement opposition to its portrayal in the film, it will increase the number of hotels on its books.
Alison Couper, Hotels.com's director of communications, said: "Following the surge of Kazakhstan hotel searches on Hotels.com since the film was released, we are looking to expanding our Kazakh hotel portfolio and expect bookings to increase considerably."
Earlier this month, it was reported that the former Soviet country is on the hunt for a PR agency to combat its portrayal in the film as a bigoted, racist and backward-looking country.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London