BT signs Warner and EMI content deals for launch
LONDON - BT has inked content deals with Hollywood studio Warner Bros and record label EMI for its broadband TV service, BT Vision, which launches today and expects to sign up 2m-3m customers.
The agreement with Warner Bros gives BT Vision customers access to new films such as 'Superman Returns', as well as titles in the back catalogue including the 'Harry Potter' franchise and TV shows 'The OC', 'ER' and 'Smallville'.
Under the new deal, customers can download titles to own or rent, which will be streamed instantly to their TV set via a set-top box.
BT has also secured video-on-demand rights to music promos from EMI artists such as Coldplay, Lily Allen and Kylie Minogue, in addition to long-form programming in the music group's catalogue.
The deal, EMI's first TV on-demand deal in the UK, allows BT customers to download and listen to music on a pay-per-view basis.
BT has also announced a further agreement with sports broadcaster Setanta for live FA Premiership football from next season. BT Vision will now offer Setanta's new channel, Setanta Sports, along with its own on-demand sports content.
Dan Marks, CEO of BT Television, saod: "We've said that BT Vision will be offering the best in all-round entertainment and this includes the very best of sport. We're looking forward to exploring many more sports opportunities together."
BT Vision has already signed content deals with Channel 4, DreamWorks, i-concerts, Eagle Rock, BBC Worldwide, Paramount, Warner Music Group, National Geographic Channel, Sony BMG, Viacom and Turner Broadcasting, among others.
The telecom giant's service offers 40 free-to-air channels, a phoneline, broadband connection, a personal video recorder and around 1000 hours of on-demand programming.
Unlike other on-demand services in the UK, there is no monthly subscription fee.
BT has launched the service in an attempt to generate new revenues as profit from its fixed-line telephony business declines under stiff competition.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- PPC Executive - Leading Digital Marketing Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account Director - FMCG & Retail to £55k Network Career Consultants £48000 - £55000 per annum, City of London