Stephen Carter takes CEO position with City PR firm
LONDON - Stephen Carter, the former Ofcom chief executive and a frontrunner for the role of ITV chief executive, has returned to the agency world and taken up the role of group chief executive at City PR firm Brunswick.
The former managing director and chief executive of J Walter Thompson will, in his role of group chief executive, report directly to the firm's chairman and founder Alan Parker.
Parker said: "The scale and breadth of the firm is such that now is the right time to appoint an experienced chief executive.
"I am delighted that in Stephen we have found someone who really fits the firm and will make a great contribution."
Carter joins four months after quitting Ofcom, where he was its first chief executive, overseeing the media and communications regulator's work on a raft of major issues, including the promotion of junk food to children.
Prior to Ofcom, he was chief operating officer and managing director of cable firm NTL, which along with EMI is one of Brunswick's clients. He was at JWT immediately before that.
As well as his role with Ofcom, Carter is also a highly respected figure within the marketing and charity sectors, serving as chairman of the Marketing Group of Great Britain and vice-president of Unicef UK.
Since leaving Ofcom, he was widely considered a frontrunner to replace Charles Allen as ITV chief executive. However, that was put in doubt last month with the appointment of Michael Grade, the BBC chairman and media veteran, to the similar role of executive chairman.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London