Dell mulls offline retail launch in the UK after US trial
LONDON - Computer manufacturer and direct sales specialist Dell is considering plans to open shops in the UK after trialling a retail outlet in the US.
Kevin Rollins, Dell chief executive, revealed that the PC giant opened a test store in Texas this summer and its success has prompted the company to look into rolling out an international retail network.
According to the Sunday Telegraph this week, Rollins said: "We could possibly try a number of markets, particularly where we have a fairly large consumer base and the UK is one of those."
The UK generates the most income for Dell outside the US and would therefore be one of the company's first targets for branded shops.
Establishing a retail presence would be a big break with the past for Dell, which has eschewed the high street in favour of phone and internet orders since it started trading 22 years ago.
Dell initially sold computers through catalogues and ads but now relies on internet sales for 60% of its business.
This year, Dell has been under increasing pressure to find new revenue streams after HP overtook it as the market leader. A mass recall of 4m laptops because of faulty Sony batteries also generated negative publicity for the company.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Join the flagship Agency team at Blue Skies, Richmond Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent bonus + benefits, London (Greater) / London (South), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Account Executive Stopgap £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Junior Account Manager collectivo Up to £26,000 per annum, London (Greater)
- Head of Data Analytics - Top Publisher Digital Gurus £90000 - £120000 Per Annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Mid-weight project manager Red Sofa London £35000.00 - £40000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)