Barclays drops out of Olympics sponsorship race
LONDON - Barclays Bank, which had been tipped to sign up as one of the top-tier sponsors of the London 2012 Olympics, is no longer in the running for a package.
The bank, already sponsor of the football Premier League at a cost of £65.8m up until 2010, was a speculative favourite to win the rights to use the Olympic rings in its advertising in the run-up to 2012.
A bidding race among banks and financial institutions to win one of two sponsorship packages ended last week with Barclays not involved in the bidding. Barclays declined to comment on the situation but a spokesman for the Olympic Games said there was no lack of applicants to join the list of sponsors.
The cost of staging the Games has rocketed recently to an estimated £5bn, £1.6bn more than the original estimate. Organisers are looking to raise £750m in sponsorship to quell the rising costs of staging the event and a bank or financial institution would be expected to put up £100m.
The London Organising Committee also announced last week that it was looking for a company to rebuild and redesign the official 2012 website.
The longest continous sponsor of the Olympic Games is Coca-Cola, which signed a renewal agreement in 2005 to sponsor the next three Olympic Games starting with Beijing 2008 and including London 2012. The cost of the deal was not disclosed but was thought to be in the region of £60m.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Junior Account Director / Account Director - Fabulous Global Agency - Central London - to £47k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £47k, Central London
- business director > TOP LONDON AGENCY > ATL collectivo Up to £90,000 + great benefits, London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER | Integrated Agency | Confectionery | up to £30k Judi Patton up to £30k, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - Creative London Agency - MOBILE/Social Media - £40-47k Judi Patton £40-47k, London
- General Manager - Integrated Advertising Agency - Dubai MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- MIDWEIGHT DESIGNER - award winning global agency! Live Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, City of London