National Geographic Channel to launch new wildlife channel Nat Geo Wild
LONDON - The National Geographic Channel UK and Europe is to launch a new channel in January focusing on the natural world called Nat Geo Wild.
The channel, which will be broadcast in the UK on Sky and on NTL and Telewest, will feature 18 hours a day of programming about creatures living in their natural environment, replacing Adventure One in the UK.
Programmes expected to feature include 'Hunter Hunted', 'Eye of the Leopard', 'Infested' and 'Rogue Raiders'.
National Geographic said it would continue to expand its contemporary science, history and technology output, but wanted to differentiate Nat Geo Wild from its other wildlife channels.
Programming for the channel will come from a variety of sources, including co-productions from independent UK producers, National Geographic Television and UK terrestrial broadcasters.
George Jeffrey, managing director of National Geographic UK and Europe, said: "Nat Geo Wild allows us to expand our commitment to quality wildlife and natural world programming -- to create a specialist channel on the genres at the very heart of our brand.
"The time is right to launch this new channel that will cater to the growing public appetite for wildlife and environmental programming."
According to the channel, it has increased its ratings by 20% in the last 12 months.
Last month the National Geographic Channel agreed a deal with Orange to make its programmes available through a subscription monthly package.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Senior Optimisation Manager (RTB) Digital Gurus £25000 - £42000 per annum, London
- Senior Category Manager - Tesco Jarlett de Grouchy £55000 - £60000 per annum + Car Allowance + Benefits, Weybridge
- Marketing Manager, Wokingham, up to £45k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40000 - £45000 per annum, Benefits: Great Benefits, Wokingham
- Account Manger - Marketing and Design Agency - Essex/Herts - £30k - NP072 Stonor £30k, West Essex